North Gate – Salisbury

North Gate was the main entrance to The Close. It is a carriageway flanked by a small room on one side and a staircase leading to an upper room on the other. It is made of stone and was built between 1327-42. A rebuilding took place in the late 15th century which also involved the reconstruction of the upper room. Alterations in the 17th century included construction of a door into the Porters Lodge. Alterations also took place in the 18th and 19th century. The roof was replaced in 1901. Further repairs in the 20th century took place in 1912 and 1938-39. The gatehouse was used as an office of the Cathedral clerk of works in 1950 and is still in use as an office. (Historic England.org.uk)

*

Squares

2 commentaires sur « North Gate – Salisbury »

Votre commentaire

Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:

Logo WordPress.com

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte WordPress.com. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Google

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Google. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Image Twitter

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Twitter. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Facebook

Vous commentez à l’aide de votre compte Facebook. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Connexion à %s

Ce site utilise Akismet pour réduire les indésirables. En savoir plus sur la façon dont les données de vos commentaires sont traitées.